Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Cinderella's Next Makeover

Looks like Cinderella's fairy godmother has paid her another visit!  Disney has given her a new makeover.  I only noticed this because I work at a bookstore and we recently received a new sign for children's books that has Cinderella on it.  I did a double-take when I saw it, because she now has a side-part and looks more like Barbie.  Oh, Cinderella!  Don't go changin'....

Here's how she generally looked before (although when I was Google image-searching, I found that in the original movie her hair was more light brown/reddish). 


Here's how she looks now:

Her headband no longer connects to her earrings (and she has ears), she has a side-part, and her bun is much more actual-bun than three poofs hanging over the headband.  Of course, that's how I knew her and I let my brain think it was an actual way to style your hair.  She does look much younger (which I guess makes sense since most fairy tale princesses are 14-16--yes, I did take a course in fairy tales in college!)  However there's a small blurb explaining some of this on the website I got this image from.

And now here's the Barbie I was thinking she looks like (the Barbie from the paperback books at my bookstore):


Maybe this isn't the best example because her hair is a little pink here.. But I hope this gives you an idea of what I was thinking (it's the only one I could find where her side-part is more pronounced).

And then, just to throw you off, there's this:

Barbie as Cinderella.  I prove my point.  (I know, not really). 


Anyway I hope this "trial period" (if that's what it is) doesn't last too long and gets feedback from fans.  You don't want to mess with Disney fans.  Remember when Mr. Toad closed in Disney World?  Yeah.  And they want to change Cinderella's entire head.

The places I got these images are:
http://a.dolimg.com/en-US/disneyfans/media/history/movies/cinderella/mov_cinderella_240x240.jpg
http://cousinorville.com/?p=77
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/i-can-be-a-rock-star-barbie/id419925858?mt=11
http://www.shopping.com/Mattel-Barbie-As-Cinderella-Collector-Edition-Fairy-Tale-Beauty-Who-Lost-Her-Slipper-Doll-1996/info (Really?  Was that the full title of this doll?  "Fairy-Tale Beauty Who Lost Her Slipper" Doll?)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog! You should be a fashion consultant for Disney! Actually, I don't think that the new look for Cinderella is too bad, but they better not touch Gus! The character who really needs a makeover, in my humble opinion, is Snow White.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought she looked like Barbie too. It was bad enough when they started changing the dresses by adding all those sparkles, now they went and made a new character in cosplay!

    ReplyDelete